The Adult Nap
Written By: Tieraona Low Dog, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, Well & Being
Doctors recommend about 8 hours of sleep each night, but unfortunately this rarely occurs. Between working, stress, family and social commitments sleeping for the recommended duration becomes difficult. Naturally, all of these will impact your wellbeing and can easily lead to chronic sleep deprivation.
Sleep deprivation significantly affects your health, performance and safety. This condition has been implicated in accidents, particularly driving as well as work performance. Easily, this impacts our mood and quality of life. However, it has been found that short naps can help prevent both sleep deprivation as well as sleepiness. Try avoiding longer naps as they do have associated risks such as grogginess and insomnia.
A short nap is recommended to be about 20-30 minutes long. This provides significant benefits for improved performance and alertness, while avoiding a groggy period. Remember, naps aren’t just for kids – adults need them too!
We’ve listed some reasons why we LOVE the Adult Nap! Check out below:
- It has been found that the risk of accidents and error is reduced.
- Feel ENERGIZED! Naps increase alertness and your performance.
- Feel refreshed and rested. These extra 20-30 minutes will give you a boost, allowing you to spend that extra time with family and friends.
We know it’s not easy and that is why we’ve put together some tips, so that you can nap well!
- Set your phone aside but don’t forget to put an alarm on so you don’t over-nap!
- Get comfy! Find a quiet spot and settle in. Try an eye mask to keep the bright lights at bay.
- Although this may be difficult for some, try to schedule your nap in the towards the middle of the day, between 1 PM and 3 PM in order to not affect your nighttime sleep.
Visit Well & Being at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess to experience the ultimate nap in our So Sound Room. Visit or call to request your reservation today!